Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Welcome to our Adoption blog!

Welcome to our blog! Garth and I are very excited to begin the journey of adopting a child or children from Ethiopia and would like to share this journey with you.

As some of you may know, our journey up to this point has had its highs and lows, but the Lord has brought us through all of them and we now know that the timing is perfect for us to move forward with adoption. In this initial blog, I would like to address some of the common questions that get asked in regards to international adoption.

How did you decide to use America World Adoption? After receiving the information packets for the international adoption agencies around Omaha, Garth and I spent a few days praying and asking God which one was the best match for us. The answer came in the form of a Bible verse that America World Adoption has, which is Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope". This verse has been very special to me for as long as I can remember, and when we received AWAA's information packet, that verse was listed on all their information.

How much does it cost? International adoption costs vary between countries, but the estimated cost for an adoption from Ethiopia is around $22,000 to $31,000.

Why Ethiopia? When Garth and I started thinking about adoption, the countries that we mainly considered were China, Ethiopia, and Rwanda. After reviewing the information about all of these countries, Ethiopia was our best match. Some people may be concerned about having a multi-racial family, but Garth and I have no doubt that we will love any child, no matter what color skin they have. We will also be incorporating some of the Ethiopian culture into our lives and teach our new child about the country they were born in.

How long will it take to get your child? There are several steps to international adoption. The first step is to have a home study and complete the dossier that will eventually get sent to Ethiopia. This process usually takes between 3 and 6 months. After completing the dossier, we wait for a referral. The wait time for this is currently 5-7 months. When we get the referral, we will receive a picture of the child and known medical and family history. We will be able to accept or decline that referral. Once we have accepted a referral, we will buy our plane tickets and plan to travel to Ethiopia. We will be in Ethiopia for approximately 7 days. Once we reach Ethiopia, we will be able to meet our child right away and spend time with them while we wait for Ethiopia to finalize everything. Overall, it will take anywhere from 9 months to 1-1/2 years. Of course, as with any government, things can change which can either shorten or lengthen the time it takes.

That is the story in a nutshell, but I am sure that we will learn a great deal more as the time goes on. Please follow along with us while we take this exciting journey. I will try to update this blog as things unfold. Feel free to make comments and ask questions. We will need as much encouragement and support as we can get during these next several months.

In the next few weeks, we will be having a puzzle FUNdraiser. We will be putting together a puzzle that is Africa-related for our adopted child, and we would like to give you the chance to sponsor parts of that puzzle. If you choose to participate, your name will be written on the back of that puzzle piece and when it is completed, our new child will be able to see who helped to bring them to their forever home. We will keep you updated as the puzzle is completed.

Love, Garth and Carmen

4 comments:

  1. Hi There! I saw you were new to the AWAA YG and thought I'd pop over to check out your blog and welcome you. My husband and I used AWAA for our first adoption and are back again for a second adoption. I love to meet fellow AWAA families. I saw your timeline and that you are getting the ball rolling on your HS. Here's hoping you're DTE (Dossier to Ethiopia) soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen and Garth, What an awesome opportunity for yu. You will make wonderful parents. Your child is blessed and I can't wait to met him or her. How do you buy puzzle pieces? Love ya Cherry Lovett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to come to the beginning of your blog and begin reading your story from the beginning!!!!!!! I LOVE your puzzle FUNraiser idea!!!! Would you mind if I considered "stealing" the idea???? ~Pam~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all, Pam! I think we got the puzzle off Amazon.com.

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman