Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ethiopia Adoption Program Change

When Garth and I started this adoption process, we were told that there could be changes made by the Ethiopian government at any point of the process and we have just received notification of a fairly significant change. The Ethiopian Federal Court announced a change in the court policies today which requires both prospective adoptive parents to appear at court in person to testify to their desire and commitment to adopt their referred child(ren). Beginning today, families need to be prepared to travel to Ethiopia approximately 4 - 8 weeks after receiving a referral in order to be present in Ethiopia for their appointed court date. Families will remain in Ethiopia for roughly 5 -7 days and will then return to the US. After officially passing court, families will then travel back to Ethiopia approximately 10 -12 weeks later to pick up their adopted child(ren). They also said that roughly 50% of court cases require additional court appearances before successfully passing court. Prospective adoptive parents should only need to be in Ethiopia for the first scheduled court appointment in order to provide their testimony of consent and commitment to the court.


While we weren't planning to have to take 2 trips to Ethiopia, I am hopeful that we will be able to go meet our child(ren) while we are there, and take some presents. Previously, prospective parents would often send care packages with other families that were traveling to get their child, get some pictures of the child, etc. Now hopefully we can do that ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman