Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Homestudy updates

Hello everyone! I promised that I would update you on our homestudy report sometime this week so here it is. Cindy (our homestudy social worker) received my background check on May 13 and submitted the homestudy report on May 18 to Caitlin (our AWAA family coordinator). Some of the information in the homestudy report didn't match what we had submitted to AWAA, so we had to complete a couple forms over again until they matched, so that took a few days. Once that got corrected, Caitlin reviewed the report and there were a couple things that needed to be expanded on by Cindy, so it is now back in her hands. Garth and I also had to update some of our information, which we are still in the process of doing. I am hoping that by the end of this week we will be able to have the updated homestudy report complete and submitted to Caitlin.

Following the approval of our homestudy report, Garth and I will be sending form I-600A to USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), which is the application for advance processing of orphan petition. The purpose of this form, as I understand it, is to determine whether we will be appropriate adoptive parents. It will also generally speed up the part of the processing related to our qualifications as adoptive parents. The filing fee for this form is $670. Once approved, they will send us a date for our biometrics (basically fingerprints again and costs $80 each) and will send us the I171-H form. Receiving this form is the single most exciting form for paperchasing families to receive because we can then send ALL our forms (our dossier) to AWAA so they can review it all and make sure all is correct. Once that has been done, our dossier will then be sent to Ethiopia (DTE). While we can see the end in sight, there are still a few things that have to happen first, so my new goal for sending our dossier to AWAA is the end of July.

I have been asked by a few people how our puzzle is coming along. Since I have been frantically getting ready for our garage sale, the puzzle has been put on the back burner, but I wanted to inform you that we have had 176 pieces sponsored by friends and family. It is a 500+ piece puzzle so there are plenty of more pieces to sponsor if you would like to. For a brief recap on the puzzle, we have an African-themed puzzle that we are putting together as pieces are being sponsored. For each piece that is sponsored, we are writing that person's name on the back. When the puzzle is completed, we will glue the puzzle together and frame it so our children will be able to look at all the people who helped bring them to their forever home. The cost for each puzzle piece is $10. Thank you so much for those who have already purchased puzzle pieces. The puzzle that we have chosen is shown on this blog so take a look! If you would like to donate money to our adoption, you can either send us a check at the address listed along the right side of our blog, or there is a "donate" button that you can send money through Paypal. After our homestudy is approved, we will also begin the process of setting up a fund where the money that is donated will be tax deductible. I will send more information about that as we get it set up. We will also begin applying for grants and low-interest adoption loans as well.

Thank you all for your continued prayers. I will update our blog as soon as our homestudy is officially complete.

Sincerely,

Garth and Carmen


1 comment:

  1. Hey Carmen! Sounds like you are in the same boat we are:) Hoping to send our I600A out next week. In NJ it seems to take about a month to get an appt. HOWEVER, someone told me that once you get your appt. you can show up at the fingerprinting office and just say you are early (even if it's a couple weeks early) and sometimes they will let you do it early. Just thought I'd pass that little tid-bit along.
    Race you to the DTE:):)
    Shannon DeVol

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman