Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Welcoming Angels Program

Over the last several months, I have been very grateful that Garth and I chose America World Adoption as the agency we are working with. Every time I have asked a question (which has been MANY times), had to be reminded to do something that I had forgotten, etc., the person that I was working with was always professional, patient, and kind. So, when I got an e-mail from America World about a new program that they are going to be starting, I immediately decided to brag on them. The program is called Welcoming Angels and it is an international orphan hosting program. Welcoming Angels is based on the premise that God places the lonely in families (Psalm 68:6) and works through the Church to show loving-kindness and hospitality to those in need (Hebrews 13:2). Through Welcoming Angels, older orphaned children from various countries will be given the opportunity to live with families in the United States for short term stays. During the hosting period, children will participate in Christian family life, experience American culture, learn English, and make new friends.

Currently, Welcoming Angels is looking for churches in Maryland who want to participate with the January 2011 hosting program. Secondly, several families from Maryland are needed to host 10 older children from Ethiopia and 2 adult chaperones in January 2011 for 4 weeks. In addition, there is a special need for pro bono medical services to provide children with medical care during the hosting period.

For those who want to help and live outside of Maryland, they are looking for families that have adopted older children, especially from Ethiopia, to serve as mentors to the host families. In addition, in order to keep the hosting program affordable to participating families, individual and corporate donations are greatly appreciated to cover expenses such as airfare for the children and their chaperones.

I personally think this is TOTALLY AWESOME! Not only will this program raise adoption awareness, but think of the blessings that the kids, host families, and churches will experience by participating in this program. America World truly is a wonderful agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman