Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Adoption Family of the Week #10-The DeVol Family!


Shannon and George DeVol have been married for 9-1/2 years. Shannon had always wanted to adopt and while George hadn't always had the adoption desire, he did have a special place in his heart for adoption. After about 3-1/2 years of marriage, they had their first daughter, Christin. After she was born, they started researching adoption, but before they could do anything about it, they discovered they were pregnant again, and had their 2nd daughter, Lindsey. Shortly after Lindsey turned 1, they discovered they were pregnant again. They were a little shocked but thrilled and this time they had a boy who they named Jack. Shannon's pregnancies were all very difficult, so while they were pregnant with Jack they decided they wanted more kids, but no more pregnancies so they would look into adoption again for the next one. When Jack was born, he was unexpectedly very, very ill and only lived for two weeks before going to be with Jesus. That time was obviously very hard, but it also brought them closer to the Lord and they learned what a great support system they had. When they felt they were ready to consider more children, they knew it was time to get serious about adoption.

They could both picture themselves with a little black boy, so they began looking at Africa and that ultimately led them to America World and Ethiopia. They are thrilled to be a part of this program. They were DTE on August 6 and are currently waiting for a referral of their infant son. Their girls LOVE to look at other families pictures and learn about Ethiopia and Christin asks almost daily how much longer until they get... their on deck e-mail...a referral...they go on their first trip...they get to go pick up their baby, etc.

Their fundraisers include a Just Love Coffee store, t-shirts, and a $5 radical campaign where people will give up something like a cup of Starbucks and donate $5 to their adoption. Check out their blog here and support them in any way you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman