Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Grocery Shopping

As you know, Garth and I are trying to save money every way we can to allow us to put as much as we possibly can towards our adoption. One of the various ways we are attempting that is by spending less on groceries....and that falls primarily in my court. I REALLY do not like grocery shopping. In fact, before we were married Garth told me that he enjoyed grocery shopping and would be glad to do it. While I knew that I had hit the jackpot with him, that certainly confirmed my original thought. :-) However, I think his previous "grocery shopping" was to go in and get about 5 prepackaged meals and then leave. After a couple trips to the grocery store with a list from me, grocery shopping became less fun. Ha! So, the job got transferred back to me. I have always used coupons whenever possible, but it took so much time to go through all the coupon inserts, look online, etc. So, when I was listening to Kat 103.7 about a month ago and heard about Michelle's Money Savers, I was intrigued. Since I don't like grocery shopping, I try to get a month's worth done in one trip. Yesterday it was time to go. On Thursday night, I went to Michelle's Money Savers and started looking. She has made it really easy to save money. On Wednesday or Thursday morning, she lets everyone know what the weekly ads are for several grocery stores in the Omaha area. That in itself is awesome because then you can look through them all in one place to see who has the best deal, but THAT'S NOT ALL! She also ads links to coupons from the various online coupon websites that will help you save even more! It was so easy and when I finished making my list and getting the coupons printed out that she had, I was actually excited about grocery shopping to see how much money I would save.

So, Friday morning I got up to go grocery shopping before I started working. While I was standing in line, I kept watching the amount go up..and up...and up. I was cringing when I saw the total, but then the exciting part started...the clerk started scanning my coupons. When she finished, I had saved $54.93!!!!!! I was ECSTATIC! The money that I saved on groceries is going directly into our adoption fund! How awesome is that? I would encourage everyone in the Omaha area especially to check out Michelle's Money Savers. The savings really do add up! For those who live outside the Omaha area, if you have some of the same grocery stores you could save too. The ads may be different in different areas, but there may be some crossover of specials. At the very least, it's worth taking a look. I don't know if I will ever "like" going grocery shopping, but utilizing this resource will make it somewhat tolerable, at least. Thanks so much Michelle!

2 comments:

  1. I despise grocery shopping more than any other household task.

    Way to go on your savings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually really like grocery shopping (operative word being shopping). that is such a great feeling when you see it go down like that. i'm always excited if i've saved even $10. way to go saving $55, awesome! btw i forgot you were in the omaha area. my husband has a friend there. we live on the other side of iowa from you, but really that's not sooo far :)

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman