Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Adoption Family of the Week #13-The McKinney family!


This week's featured family is Tony and Michelle McKinney from the MD/DC/VA area. They are a blended family with two boys, MJ and C, from Tony and Michelle, and an adult son, Anthony, who became part of Michelle's family when she married Tony. When Michelle's mom died when she was about 6 years old, she was adopted by her aunt and uncle, so obviously adoption is important to her. When they got married in 1998, they talked about the possibility of adopting regularly. Even after their boys were born, they still wanted to adopt, although it was centered around domestic adoption. On September 1, 2009, however, God began to change all that. Michelle was watching a Gotcha Day video from another adoptive mom and her heart began softening for international adoption. Previous to this moment, adopting from another country had never entered her mind. For one thing, she doesn't like taking long trips anywhere. But on that day, she felt the Lord telling her to consider international adoption. When she talked to Tony about it, he thought it was a GREAT idea! Michelle also shared with Tony this draw to Ethiopia that she felt was from the Lord and showed him the stats about Ethiopia, some adoption stories, etc. and he agreed that they would pursue a baby girl from Ethiopia, who they will name Selah. So, on October 30, 2009, they joined the AWAA Ethiopia program.

On September 26, 2010, their paper pregnancy was complete, but they are waiting for the rest of the money needed to send in their dossier. They have two fundraisers which include Michelle's Etsy store where you can get handmade glass tile pendants and they also have t-shirts. According to their blog, they need approximately $2700 more before they can send in their dossier, so if you if you are led to help them, please do! Wouldn't it be a great present for them to have all the money needed by Christmas?

2 comments:

  1. How awesome! This is really so awesome that you share our stories with the rest of the world! Thank you for your heart for others! This totally warms my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, Michelle! I really LOVE doing it!

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman