Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pending Adoption Legislation

On AWAA's blog today, they told us about some pending legislation in the House of Representatives that deals directly with international adoption and encouraged us to contact our House members and tell them to SUPPORT the International Adoption Simplification Act and Help Haiti Act of 2010. To get the contact information of your House member, click here.

International Adoption Simplification Act: Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to include in the definition of "child" a child adopted under the age of 18 (16 under current law).  This bill includes an exemption from required admissions vaccination documentation, certain children who have been adopted in a foreign country that is a signatory to the Hague or who are emigrating from such a country for U.S. adoption.

Help Haiti Act of 2010: Authorizes the Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS) to adjust to permanent resident status an alien who: (1) was granted parole admission into the United States pursuant to the humanitarian parole policy for certain Haitian orphans announced on January 18, 2010, and suspended as to new applications on April 15, 2010; (2) is physically present in the United States; (3) is admissible as an immigrant; and (4) files an application for adjustment not later than three years after enactment of this Act.

Thank you for contacting your House member!

1 comment:

  1. I contacted my senator, Abbie Cornett, and asked her to support this legislation. She must be rather sick of getting e-mails from me, but probably relieved it wasn't about midwifery, breastfeeding, or urban farming legislation for a change :)

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman