Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Adoption Families of the Week

OK, so I know it's Monday night and usually I have the Featured family post up in the morning. Well, this week I wanted to do something a little different. This week, most of us will be spending Christmas with our family and friends, celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior. Therefore, I didn't want to focus on one specific family, instead I wanted to focus on every family who has adopted, is adopting, or will adopt in the future. I know that not everyone understands why we put ourselves through all the paperwork, the interviews, the highs, the lows, the delays, the emotional struggles, and ultimately the joy of bringing our children home. I can tell you that it is NOT for the faint of heart. Every family will tell you that there WILL be something that doesn't go according to your plan, and often there will be several things that will hold things up. Most families will also have to scrimp and save every way they can, some will have fundraisers, many will apply for loans, grants, etc.  Many will wipe out their saving accounts, 401ks, cash out CDs and IRAs to be able to bring their children home. They will shed many tears but also rejoice when they get the dossier completed, get a referral, court date, and Embassy date, and when they can finally come home with their children. Before they get a referral they pray for the children that will someday be a part of their family. When they finally get a referral, they will be able to pray for them by name. Their hearts will break when they get the news that their children are ill and they can't go to them to wipe away their tears, swab their forehead with a cool compress, give them chicken noodle soup, or anything they can think of to make their child feel better. So why do we put ourselves through this? Because we have the heart of our Father God beating in our chest. We wish that we could find a home for every orphan that we meet. We look at our lives and wonder what we could get rid of to help us save more money so we can bring 1, 2, 3, or more children to be in our family. When we read John 14:18 that says "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you" we know that WE are the ones who will fulfill that...as many times as we possibly can. So I would like to thank all the people who open their hearts and homes to these children whose parents have either died or can't afford to keep them AND for those who help us along the way prayerfully, emotionally, and financially for "whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me." (Matthew 25:40 The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman