Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Adoption Shower!

I have to admit...I LOVE parties, especially parties that involve presents. I love getting together with friends and family, seeing everyone again, and catching up. But even more than that, I love opening presents. Now I know that it is better to give than to receive and I do LOVE to give presents as well, but I also really like getting them. I am almost 38 years old and I still get excited about exchanging gifts on Christmas. I love to see the faces and hear the expressions of my family when I managed to pick out the right thing to give someone AND to see what new treasures are coming my way. So, you can imagine my excitement when I got an e-mail from my dear friend Troi Ellis (after she had read our court date announcement) saying that we needed to plan a shower. I'm especially excited about this party because not only will Garth and I get to open presents, but it means we are that much closer to having our boys! The details haven't all been worked out yet, but the shower will be sometime in February and men are welcome to come as well.

So today after church, Garth and I decided to go register at Target and Wal-Mart for "baby" gifts. We first went to Target and at one point the young man (he was probably in high school) asked if we knew where the newborn items were. I told him that we didn't need newborn stuff because our kids were 3 and 4 years old. I wish I would have had my camera because he just looked at me like I had lost my mind. I just about started laughing, but managed to tell him that we were adopting two children from Ethiopia. He slowly recovered and then congratulated us. It was hilarious! My only regret is that Garth didn't hear this exchange because he was getting a cart. Anyway, we found several things at Target and had a very enjoyable experience there. We then went to Wal-Mart. I went in by myself at first because Garth had another errand to run. When I got back to the jewelry department (where the registry computers are located), I got everything set up and then handed the receipt to the sales clerk so she could give me the scanner. She asked me for my ID and keys. HUH? I gave her my ID but told her that I couldn't give her my keys because I didn't have them...and why did they need them anyway? She said that those were kept so no one would steal their scanner. Apparently this is a big problem in Fremont, Nebraska? Shortly after I started scanning items we wanted/needed, Garth showed up. The scanner wasn't working the best so I was getting somewhat annoyed, but kept going. We had been there for about 45 minutes or so when I realized that I when I would scan something, it said "item not found." I tried another item and the same thing happened. So then I looked at the list of items that had successfully scanned and the last thing that was listed was something that we had scanned about 30 minutes before. Garth was very annoyed at this point and went to sit down. I took the scanner back to the lady and after messing with it for about 15 minutes she finally got it fixed. Apparently I had overloaded it or something (even though at that time there were only about 10 items on it). I then started backtracking to re-scan everything that we had already scanned. After doing this a couple times I decided to check the list again and to my delight, I saw that all those items that I didn't think had scanned actually had, so I didn't have to backtrack at all. After about another 20 minutes or so, I was finally tired of looking around so I took the scanner back. When I got back there, I told the gal that I couldn't understand why ANYONE would want to steal that scanner. She just looked at me and didn't say anything. Then we got to go home.

As annoyed as I was at Wal-Mart, the best thing about registries is that I can check them to see what people have already purchased for me (I mean US)! It's like Christmas twice...I can see what has been purchased online and then before we open them, I can try to guess who got us what! Of course, there will be things purchased that aren't on our registries, and that is fine, because then there will be some true surprises!

1 comment:

  1. Showers are so fun! =) But you're not suppossed to PEEK!! That is CHEATING! Hehee!

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman