Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Introducing.....Matiwos!!!!

Tonight Garth and I were sitting on our couch having supper (yes I know...we should be eating at the table) and I was catching up on Facebook when I suddenly saw a picture that took my breath away. It was posted by a FB friend, Kara Vassar, who I have never met in person but we both have a heart for Africa so I feel like I've known her forever. The picture was of Matiwos. Matiwos is a 12-year-old boy who is in the 6th grade. He is living with his uncle because his parents died. His uncle's family has no income. Yes, you read that right, NO INCOME!!!!  Kara volunteers with Yezalalem Minch (YM) and they along with Helps International Ministries (HIM) were trying to find a sponsor for this young man. I showed Garth his picture and asked him if he would possibly want to sponsor him. We contacted Kara to see what all was involved with sponsoring him and she said that we would work directly with YM and HIM. We would get letters from Matiwos about three times a year and we can e-mail him! Even better, Kara is going to be going on a mission trip to Ethiopia soon and she could HAND-DELIVER a care package to him and get some pictures! How awesome is that?

So why are we doing this? Did you read the part about his uncle having no income? NONE! More than that, though, these kids need our help...and wouldn't it be better to help people where they are? You may think that's a strange thing for me to say since we are only about a month away from meeting the boys that we will be bringing home with us, but the truth is that this world would be a lot better if families could stay together. I wish that there were no diseases that took the lives of parents, I wish that families wouldn't have to make the decision to either keep their child(ren) and starve or give them up for adoption so they would all have enough to eat. I wish that there were no orphans at all...but we don't live in that world. So until that day comes, I want to do whatever I can to help these children, which is why we decided to sponsor this young man.

Sponsoring a child costs $30 a month...that is $1 a day. The other day a FB friend of mine mentioned that she spent $95 for a pair of shoes. My first thought was "how many children could she have helped with that money?" The answer is at least 3. Three children could have food, clothes, education, medicine, etc. Seriously ask yourself if you getting those great shoes, or going to that movie, or going out to a nice dinner is more important than helping a child with their basic needs? It's a no-brainer to me.

I truly hope that we will be able to meet Matiwos and his uncle when we go to Ethiopia in March. At this point I don't have a lot of information about him, but I will get more info next week. There are two pictures on my FB wall of other children who also need to be sponsored. I would LOVE IT if they would have sponsors by tomorrow night. Will it be you? Just look at this young man. Despite all the trials he has already overcome, he still has that beautiful smile...doesn't it take your breath away too?

2 comments:

  1. We sponsor an adorable little boy from YM, and my oldest daughter sponsors a little girl. It is a great organization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We sponsor two boys, one younger in Zimbabwe and an older boy in Dominic Republic! I love the interaction and JOY they bring into our lives! I can only pray that they feel as blessed by us as we do by them! ENJOY your sponsor relationship and BLESS YOUR HEART for loving on another one of God's children! I SOOO hope you can meet him when you travel! That would be beyond awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman