Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Melkam Timket

Today in Ethiopia is Melkam Timket...the day that they celebrate the baptism of Jesus. It is celebrated with singing, dancing, and general merriment (as you will see in the video) and a bigger holiday than Gena (Christmas). Timket is celebrated 2 weeks after Ethiopian Christmas. From what I read about it, it's actually a 3-day affair preceded by the eve of Timket when the dramatic processions take place through a night of fasting, to the great day itself, and the commemoration of Christ's baptism in the Jordan River. On the eve of Timket, the priests of the Orthodox Church bring out the Tabots, replicas of the two tablets of laws given to Moses, which are normally housed inside the altar symbolizing the Ark of the Covenant. Priests bless the water of the pool or river where the next day's celebration will take place. The next day they fill the streets, many dressed in the national colors, and celebrate. At the end, it is capped by a water drenching ceremony symbolizing the baptism of Jesus Christ. Make sure you pause the music at the bottom of this page before playing the video.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see a Christian nation celebrating Christ's baptism in the streets! Wow! Angi Cooper

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman