Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month

Did you  know that January is Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month? To be honest, I didn't, but I am glad that there is a month designated for this very important cause. Worldwide, human trafficking is a $9 billion a year business...the fastest growing criminal industry in the world today. I don't know about you, but that disturbs me greatly. After drug dealing, human trafficking is tied with the illegal arms trade as the 2nd largest criminal industry in the world. Around the world, as many as 820,000 people lose their freedom due to human trafficking each year. Most victims get entangled on false pretenses of promises of a better life and upon arrival are held against their will. Human trafficking is modern-day slavery usually involving forced commercial sex or forced labor of victims. 80% of the victims are women and more than 50% are children. So what can you do to help? Well one thing is pray...pray for the rescue of these women and children...pray for the capture and prosecution of those involved in human trafficking...pray that those who are rescued from the sex trade will be successfully rehabilitated so they can lead normal lives with an education, jobs, etc. You can also support groups financially and spread the word. Tell people you know about human trafficking and how they can get involved. The more people involved, the more lives will be saved.

One group that we personally support financially is the Indian Rescue Mission. I recently got an e-mail from them on how people can partner with them to help save these women and children and catch the bad guys. They have several ways that you can sponsor as well that I will outline below. I would encourage you to pray about whether the Lord is asking you to help them financially as well.

Rescue Project: 
Sponsor one day of investigations - $35 covers food and accommodation of the field team for one day of investigations.

Sponsor an investigator for one month - $100 covers the salary of one investigator for one month of investigations.

Restoration Project:
Sponsor meals for one girl - $25 covers food for one rescued girl in the aftercare program for a month.

Sponsor one girl for a month - $75 takes care of all the basic needs of one girl in the aftercare program for one month.

Justice Project: 
Sponsor a lawyer for one day - $20 covers the legal fees of one lawyer for one full day.

Sponsor testimony preparations for one counselor and one rescued girl - $50 covers the salary, travel, and other expenses for one day of legal counseling with a rescued girl.

Expansion Project:
Expansion to new field offices is not merely adding to their current work, it is multiplying the work! They have identified several strategic, large cities in India with little to no anti-sex trafficking presence, and they are ready to rescue girls in those areas. Your "Expansion Project" donation of any amount will set the stage for opening a new office in a new location.

Give Monthly:
Their greatest financial need is consistent, monthly donors. We can play a key role in sustaining our work by becoming a monthly partner. Equip Nepal here in the US accepts funds for IRM. You can send checks or money orders to EquipNepal by including a note that it is for the Indian Rescue Mission. Their address is EquipNepal, 2632 Ranchette Road, Billings, MT, 59105. You can also give online at www.EquipNepal.org. Donors will receive a tax receipt the following year.

Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. Matthew 25:40

Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me. Mark 9:37

May he defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy. Psalm 72:4

He is the God who avenges me, who puts the nations under me, who sets me free from my enemies. You exalted me above my foes; from a violent man you rescued me. 2 Samuel 22:48-49

In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears. He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me. Psalm 18:6, 16-19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman