Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Chores

I don't know what age I started having chores, but since I was doing "all the housework" when I was a pre-teen (wink, wink), I'm sure I started fairly early. Therefore I thought it was probably a good idea to start the boys on chores so they would have something to feel proud of accomplishing and a way to earn stickers...which turn into 5 cents per sticker. I should say that not all of these are "chores" per se, but ways to teach them responsibility and good work ethic. At the end of the month, we will add up all the stickers they earned and let them either save the money for something bigger in the future or get something smaller now, or save it indefinitely. Here are the sticker opportunities that I have given each boy:

Jeremiah:
  • Get dressed by himself with minimal help
  • Make his bed
  • Bring things from car to house (like his suitcase, books, toys, etc.)
  • Set the table with help
  • Help me cook
  • Help carry groceries
  • Match their socks
  • Pick up toys before bed
  • Saying please without being reminded
  • Limited spilling at the table

Simon:
  • Help me make his bed
  • Pick up toys with supervision
  • Take clothes to our laundry chute
  • Help carry groceries
  • Saying please with minimal reminders
  • Telling us when he needs to go potty
  • Help me cook

There are also things that will take away stickers such as lying, excessive whining, not listening, fighting, waking up the other sibling before they wake up on their own, hitting, and talking back. They can also earn stickers for doing other good things that aren't on their list of things as Garth and I see fit.

We started using this chart a week ago and they have both done really well so far. They get very excited about doing things that will earn them stickers which in turn makes me excited to provide these opportunities. I would also like to know what other "chores" parents have had for their 3 and 4-year-olds. If you currently have or have had a 3 or 4-year-old, please chime in on this subject! I would love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Emptying wastebaskets,filling the toilet paper box (hold 4 rolls), and washing off the table and counters were all things we had ours do. Also folding washcloths.

    Anne M.

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman