Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Increased wait times for Ethiopian referrals

You may be wondering why I'm writing about this since we are home with our boys. Well I still have several friends who haven't yet seen their future children so I like to keep track of how things are going. I shared with you before we went to Ethiopia that the Ministry of Women's Affairs (MOWA, which has now been renamed Ministry of Women's, Children, and Youth Affairs, or MOWCYA) had drastically cut down the number of approval letters that they were writing each day down to 5. Every family has to have that letter to pass court and be able to be submitted to Embassy. Obviously, that slowed things down in Ethiopia A LOT. Since that time, referrals have slowed down greatly as well, which means families are having to wait longer and longer before getting to see their future child(ren). Well my friends John and Christina Anderson (and many other families) got the following e-mail recently.

As your family is in the waiting stage of the adoption process, we are writing to inform you of a change to our predicted timeframes between dossier submission and referral.     
 
The wait for a male referral is now predicted to be between 10 and 16 months.  The wait for a female referral is now predicted to be between 11 and 18 months.  Wait times currently show a trend of increasing.
 
There are many factors that contribute to wait times.   Each child’s case can vary in the amount of time it takes to be ready to be referred to a family.   America World thoroughly investigates each case and it can take weeks, and at times months, to clear referrals with medical or documentation issues, or to obtain necessary governmental documents/clearances/etc. that are needed before he or she can be referred. 
 
While we know this news is disappointing, we are encouraged to share that MOWCYA has increased the number of recommendation letters they write to 15 per day. We will continue to apprise your family of any other changes that occur, and we are praying for your family and all families in the various stages of the adoption process.

So I would like to ask you for your prayers for these families who are waiting for that oh so important call. While we know that God is in control, waiting is still very hard to do. 

1 comment:

  1. THank you for this post! We are just about DTE and the slow down in referrals put a damper on our week...but nothing we can't handle with His guidance and love! We'd love it if you added our blog! www.waitingonsix.blogspot.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel. I knew it from the start. The first time my angel smiled at me; I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel; This angel child of mine. Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel. My heart is dancing wild; Our family, by a miracle; Blessed by our angel child.

All I Really Want by Steven Curtis Chapman